How to Configure Overlay Timing & Triggers
Learn how to control when and how your overlay appears with advanced timing and trigger options in Picreel.
Watch this quick video to get a better understanding of targeting a campaign:
Or continue learning about overlay timing & triggers step-by-step below.
By configuring overlay timing & triggers, you can:
- Enhanced Timing Control: Determine when overlays pop up on your website, making a bigger impact.
- Reduce Bounce Rate: Keep visitors engaged by showing overlays at the right moment, lowering your bounce rate.
- Boost Conversions: Strategically timed overlays can lead to more conversions.
Step 1: Accessing Campaign Settings
- Log in to your Picreel dashboard and click the ‘Campaigns’ tab on the side panel. Navigate to the campaign and click "Settings."
- Select the campaign you want to set up overlays for and click "Settings."
Step 2: Configuring Overlay Timing & Triggers
- Look for "WHEN OVERLAY APPEARS" on the campaign settings page and click the green arrow.
- Click "Trigger options" to reveal the settings.
Understanding Trigger Types
- Exit Triggers: Show your overlay when visitors are about to leave your website.
- Delay Triggers: Display your overlay after a set delay.
- Scrolling Triggers: Show your overlay after visitors scroll down or up a certain percentage.
- On-click Triggers: Present your overlay when visitors click on a specific element or feature.
Here is a description of each trigger option:
- Exit Triggers: It displays your widget when visitors are about to abandon your website.
- Delay Triggers: It displays your widget after a set delay. 'After ‘X’ second(s)' shows an offer after visitors have spent the specified time on a designated page. These overlays that will show up after a certain time are referred to as Timed Overlay.
- Scrolling Triggers: It displays your widget after the visitor scrolls down or scrolls up a set percentage of your website. The pop-up opens after scrolling down ‘X’ percent or after scrolling up ‘X’ percent, because visitors scroll down or scroll up past a designated point.
- On-click Triggers: It displays a widget at a click. When chosen, the click triggers an offer when visitors click on a specific element or feature within a particular page of your site. This feature is enabled by indicating the CSS selector of an element. When visitors click on it, they will see an overlay.
You can use the ‘Add New’ button to enable an on-click trigger on multiple elements on a webpage.
To enable multiple triggers within one campaign, switch the status of each trigger from inactive to active.
It is important to note that you can enable multiple trigger options simultaneously. For example, the settings on the above GIF display an overlay if:
(a)A visitor exits a website or stays on it for 5 seconds,
(b) Scrolls down to more than 40%, or scrolls up to more than 20%, or
(c) Clicks on a link with a selector.
That's how you configure overlay timing and triggers in Picreel. If you encounter any issues or have any questions, feel free to contact our support team.